OnlyFans has become a lucrative way for many influencers, particularly adult content creators, to make money.
The top ways to make money on OnlyFans include subscriptions, direct messaging, tips, pay-per-view content, and more. Some OnlyFans creators have even built their own coaching businesses. The incomes generated by OnlyFans stars can be very high, with some earning millions of dollars per year.
OnlyFans creator Bryce Adams, for instance, makes $6.4 million per year, she told Insider. She uses three profiles to cater to different kinds of customers.
Read more about how Adams built her business to over $6 million in yearly revenue and her strategies for success
Here are the top seven ways to make money on OnlyFans:
The most basic way for creators to monetize is through subscriptions. In order to unlock content, like pictures and videos, users must pay a monthly or annual fee. The creator takes home 80% of that revenue, while the company gets the other 20%.
How much to charge for subscriptions is up to the creator and can be a challenging number to determine.
Morgan Edwards, an OnlyFans star known as "Kitty K," said she was "in the dark" when deciding how to price subscriptions to her content when she was a beginner. Devising a strategy takes some knowledge of the industry.
Read more about the strategy 7 creators use to set prices for their content on OnlyFans
Once she gained some experience, Edwards built a successful OnlyFans career, charging nearly $70 for three months of access.
Check out how Edwards built her presence on OnlyFans and made $1.2 million from the platform in two years
On their feeds, creators have the option to put additional content behind a paywall, which the users can purchase at an extra cost — usually photos or videos.
Another way to make money on the platform — for many the most profitable way — is direct messaging with fans who pay a per-message fee or flat fee, and creating custom content. Audrey Aura, a creator with 3,000 subscribers, turned private messaging into her biggest income stream.
See a breakdown of how much Aura made from each of her OnlyFans revenue streams in a year
Some creators have found ways to maintain anonymity by publishing content without showing their face except in private messages. Farrah, who goes by @nofacemom on the platform, charges between $100 and $200 for content in messages where she shows her face. Many OnlyFans creators also remain anonymous by using pseudonyms when posting on the platform.
Read more about how Farrah made over $1 million by charging to see her face and posting on Reddit
While direct messaging can be a top source of income for OnlyFans creators, it can be time-consuming, and some spend a large portion of their day answering fans. This is the case for Justine Jakobs, a creator with 36,000 OnlyFans subscribers.
Read how Jakobs reached the 0.1% of creators on OnlyFans and what her daily schedule is like
Some creators have turned to outsourcing messaging, hiring "ghostwriters" from OnlyFans management agencies to answer messages on their behalf.
Dive into the world of a secretive OnlyFans management firm whose former employees say it provides 'ghostwriting' services
Subscribers to an OnlyFans page also have the option to send cash to creators in the form of a tip. For example, Amber Sweetheart, whose OnlyFans business is based on her personal connection with her fans, says she has subscribers who come back daily to interact with her and send her tips.
Read more about how Sweetheart built her OnlyFans business to $2.6 million
Many OnlyFans creators rely on various marketing tactics to get new customers, like buying and selling "shoutouts" from each other to advertise on OnlyFans and on other social-media platforms.
Read more about how OnlyFans promo "shoutouts" have quietly become a big business for some creators
For some creators, these types of promotional posts are so important to their business that they hire assistants to do the marketing for them.
Check out how a virtual assistant for OnlyFans creators built a business that makes almost $360,000
Some OnlyFans creators are also establishing private coaching businesses and course programs as another way to make money. Aura, for example, started an OnlyFans course after she started receiving an uptick in requests for advice on how to succeed on the platform.
Inside an OnlyFans coaching business and how creators network with each other
Creators can build a deeper connection with their fans by livestreaming themselves on OnlyFans. Livestreams can be free for subcribers, or be accessible for an additional fee.
Steph Mi, for example, regularly goes live on the platform, normally for about two hours. She keeps the first hour public, and switches to a private, pay-per-view version during the second hour.
Read more about Mi built her income using livestreams and a golf show